My two weeks at home has come to an end. Left Budapest last night and arrived home at around 10pm. It was really strange because as soon as we touched down I immediately felt homesick, and just wanted to get back on that plane and fly back to my own bed, my family and that beautiful city, Budapest. I feel better now, but I am now faced with the thought that I need to get a job – and get one fast! Anyway, while I was waiting for my plane I jotted down a few ideas as to what to write for my next blog post and I thought it would only be fitting that it be something to do with flying. So, I have decided to compile a list of my favourite things that I ALWAYS have with me when I fly- the essentials. (Although, they probably aren’t essentials to everyone!)
TOP TRAVEL ESSENTIALS
- Coffee – regardless of what time my flight is, I will almost always grab a cup of coffee while I wait at the airport. Now, I know that not everyone likes coffee but I think it definitely helps to wake me up and make sure I don’t fall asleep in that aisle seat! We’ve all had that experience. You’re sitting in the middle or by the window minding your own business when you are desperate for the loo and the people next to you are asleep. It’s a nightmare.
- Neck pillow – for long haul flights this is an absolute MUST. Scratch that, it’s a must for every flight!! So long creaky, stiff necks. Goodbye accidentally falling asleep on the stranger next to you. It is a godsend. It helps you feel just that little bit more comfortable, especially on flights where you have limited leg room – I’m talking to you WizzAir.
- Book/Magazine – I never get on a plane without a book or magazine of some kind. It is a great way to pass the time and if you’re busy like me, it gives me a chance to catch up on the book I’ve been attempting to read for months! My current read is Outlander by Diana Gabaldon. I watched the TV show and loved it so much, so I decided to give the books a try! (Going to write a blog post soon on my fave reads so won’t give away too much just yet!)
- Headphones and a fab playlist – When I’m not reading, or watching movies – on long haul flights that is – I tend to always be listening to music. The key is a great playlist with some fab songs! Using Spotify, I generally always create a flight playlist with some of my favourite songs. My Bluetooth headphones drown out noises from other passengers and just make the whole experience that little bit nicer!
- Lip Balm – Love me some lip balm, regardless of the situation I always carry some around with me. It’s especially great when you fall asleep during the flight and your lips get really dry, it just helps hydrate and moisturizes your lips which is a big plus! Definitely, recommend dropping this lip balm in your bag and carry it with you wherever you go as it is just such a great relief when you get chapped lips.
- Gum – I never get on a flight without chewing gum. Even if I don’t have anything else with me, I always have gum (or sweets). It really helps unblock your ears and as a seasoned traveler, this is something I never get used to.
What are your travel essentials? Let me know in the comments! 🙂